Florida coach Jim McElwain said Monday that sophomore wide receiver Antonio Callaway was cleared to play Saturday against Massachusetts.
Callaway was suspended for the spring semester and the first summer semester. He was allowed to return for the second summer semester and he recently was cleared by a school panel in a sexual assault case.
McElwain said he was told Friday by university officials that Callaway would be available to play, and McElwain said Callaway "should be ready to go" against the Minutemen. Callaway is Florida's leading returning receiver and doubles as a dangerous return man.
"I think it's good; he's a pretty good player," McElwain answered when asked what it means for his team.
McElwain did say that Florida will be without freshmen wide receivers Tyrie Cleveland and Rick Wells. They were arrested in July and charged with felonies after causing more than $1,000 in damages in a UF dorm with a BB gun. Cornerback Jalen Tabor and tight end C'yontai Lewis also are suspended for their role in a fight at practice earlier this month.
McElwain also said a senior "who made some choices" would be suspended for the opener, but did not say who it was.
Other items of interest from the news conference:
* WR C.J. Worton, who has been hampered by an injury, will try to practice in a limited capacity Monday for the first time in a while. His status will be updated Wednesday.
* RB Jordan Cronkrite and TE DeAndre Goolsby have been banged-up but are expected to be full go Saturday.
* McElwain said there was a good reaction from the team to Luke Del being named the starting quarterback.
* McElwain said there was no decision yet on a third-string quarterback between true freshmen Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask. "You just never know" was his answer when was asked about redshirting one of the freshmen.
* At least the top four running backs – Cronkrite, Mark Thompson, Jordan Scarlett and Mark Herndon – will see time. The starter hasn't determined yet.
* McElwain said he expected to be challenged by UMass blitzes; he said the Minutemen will bring multiple guys from multiple locations.
(You can follow Matt Fitzsimons on Twitter @Fitzsimmons22)
© 2016, Matt Fitzsimmons. All rights reserved.
© 2016, gridironnow.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.